mybackyardicerink.com Community

the world's premiere online community for backyard ice rinks

So weather over the next 7 days (in Toronto) shows lows of - 7 over nights Friday sat sun. Next week highs are 0 - 4 degrees and overnights are low single digit negatives.

Thoughts?

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still need to trim the liner on the sides.

Steve said:

What do you mean do not leave the liner in a half inch of water? Do you mean once you start filling it.. Fill it completely? 

If you leave a thin amount of water the edge can be sharp and cut the liner

you need 1 inch at least do that doesn't happen.

You doing yours tonight? MY liner just show up ran out of day light will get to in thru the week

Is the inch or two of snow on the ground an issue at all? First time flooding! 

The warm of the water should melt it Do not pile the snow if possible as it can cause liner issues

Certainly wasn't time with all the warm weather. Should I be topping it up with the hose an inch or so? Now have a pretty bumpy/slushy surface obviously sly too weak to skate on. 

That right there is a thing of beauty!  Nice job!  

Steve said:

I hope this picture upload works. This year we expanded our rink and put it in a new location with year round access to water. We've already had 8 skate days and hopefully we can get another 3 in before the weather warms up for the weekend. We've been getting much more use than we anticipated so far. We have already resurfaced the ice 3 times. We filled our rink first week of December and things have been going great so far. Good luck everyone. 

WOW!!  Nice looking rink Daryl...and congratulations on this years success so far.  Wishing for many more skating days for you.  Happy Skating

-Kris

Daryl Roberts said:

I hope this picture upload works. This year we expanded our rink and put it in a new location with year round access to water. We've already had 8 skate days and hopefully we can get another 3 in before the weather warms up for the weekend. We've been getting much more use than we anticipated so far. We have already resurfaced the ice 3 times. We filled our rink first week of December and things have been going great so far. Good luck everyone. 

Where do you live Darryl? 

Checked my ice last night.. Still no where near ready. Shouldn't have filled it thinking back now. Leaves have frozen onto the surface and many are too hard to get out at this stage. Plus lots of uneven bumpy spots already. Love and learn I guess. 

Nice looking rink Daryl!  Totally jealous, esp the skating!

Steve, I am experiencing the same regarding the rink and early fill.  In addition I had raccoons track mud onto the rink.  And the weather is even warmer now than previously forecast!  No idea when we will skate or what the state of the ice will be.  

I keep telling myself if I hadn't filled already I would be stressed about how to fit it in with the holidays.  

Yeah, got trigger happy when I saw some - 7 and below evenings. Lots of rain forecasted for Thurs and Friday. Hopefully it smooths out the ice a bit and 9 can sweep off some leaves to boot. 

We're located in central Massachusetts. We filled our rink early this year and the weather has been great for the most part. The rink officially opened on 12/8 and we had to close for 12/15 and 12/16. We expanded to a 60'x90' rink this year and just outside of the rink we have a self draining water faucet that has a meter in a geothermal pit. We resurfaced the rink yesterday morning and today it looks like glass. The ice is strong enough to support 20 teens that are playing on it as I type this. Unfortunately, it looks like we will have to close the rink for the weekend again. Friday it might reach 60F with 3 inches of rain. By the time Monday comes around I doubt there will be any ice left (just in time for school vacation). 

I'm looking for suggestions about tape though. I've been doing rinks here for 6 years now and I cant find a quality tape for the foam bumpers. We like to tape the seams of the bumpers together to help prevent the wind from sending them for a ride. This year we aren't in a fenced in area. I've tried duct tape, nippon tape, liner patch tape. Nothing seems to stick for more than a week. Gorilla tape or Zip tape maybe? Punch holes and zip tie them together? I'm ready to try anything at this point. 

Also, I'll try to upload some more pics but for some reason I'm having trouble getting them to upload here.
Steve said:

Where do you live Darryl? 

Checked my ice last night.. Still no where near ready. Shouldn't have filled it thinking back now. Leaves have frozen onto the surface and many are too hard to get out at this stage. Plus lots of uneven bumpy spots already. Love and learn I guess. 

This was 24 hours after opening:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Scan It!

Events

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by John Vlahos.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service