mybackyardicerink.com Community

the world's premiere online community for backyard ice rinks

So weather over the next 7 days (in Toronto) shows lows of - 7 over nights Friday sat sun. Next week highs are 0 - 4 degrees and overnights are low single digit negatives.

Thoughts?

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tuck Tape the stuff they use in house building to hold the wrap (also call sheathing tape)

I use it and can't get the stuff off after the season.

BUT NOTE it will not stick to WET but dry you can't get the stuff off.

Hey Daryl,as for tape, I would try some liner tape.  NiceRink sells the tape, in very wide widths.  I find it sticks well to the liner and I use it to hold the liner to the plywood boards when I am filling.  I am sure it will hold the bumpers to the liner as well.  

Fantastic looking rink.  Hope you can get lots of use of it and the weather stays cold for you

-Kris

Hi Daryl,
Have you tried Gorilla tape?  The one that sticks well is the thin one. I think it is this one, but not sure as they offer a few: http://www.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-packaging-tape
I've used it while my liner was wet and applied it under water too and it lasted and held up all season really well.  Has anyone used this?

Daryl Roberts said:

We're located in central Massachusetts. We filled our rink early this year and the weather has been great for the most part. The rink officially opened on 12/8 and we had to close for 12/15 and 12/16. We expanded to a 60'x90' rink this year and just outside of the rink we have a self draining water faucet that has a meter in a geothermal pit. We resurfaced the rink yesterday morning and today it looks like glass. The ice is strong enough to support 20 teens that are playing on it as I type this. Unfortunately, it looks like we will have to close the rink for the weekend again. Friday it might reach 60F with 3 inches of rain. By the time Monday comes around I doubt there will be any ice left (just in time for school vacation). 

I'm looking for suggestions about tape though. I've been doing rinks here for 6 years now and I cant find a quality tape for the foam bumpers. We like to tape the seams of the bumpers together to help prevent the wind from sending them for a ride. This year we aren't in a fenced in area. I've tried duct tape, nippon tape, liner patch tape. Nothing seems to stick for more than a week. Gorilla tape or Zip tape maybe? Punch holes and zip tie them together? I'm ready to try anything at this point. 

Also, I'll try to upload some more pics but for some reason I'm having trouble getting them to upload here.
Steve said:

Where do you live Darryl? 

Checked my ice last night.. Still no where near ready. Shouldn't have filled it thinking back now. Leaves have frozen onto the surface and many are too hard to get out at this stage. Plus lots of uneven bumpy spots already. Love and learn I guess. 

Thought I would try posting here in case i get a quicker response if folks have their notifications on.

So filled my rink weeks ago, and way too early given the warm weather in the GTA.  The last few days I've noticed the water level is a lot lower than when I filled it, maybe 2" at the shallowest end now.  I've been flooding a bit with a hose on spray the last couple days, but not sure if there is a hole somewhere in the liner.  I don't see it (saw one the other day that I caused and taped it up as best I could).

Not sure what to do at this point with water levels so low and temps dipping to minus 10?  Can't really fill by hose as my pressure is so low it takes 12-14 hours to get a few inches on the rink.  Plus is that a good idea at this point?

Or should I just take out the hose every hour or so and add a thin layer of water to the rink as it freezes?

That or call in a water truck since my water pressure is so low it takes too long to get enough water on the ice that it just causes a hole in the ice and sinks underneath.

Have a bad feeling my skating rink is ruined this winter. First time I did it myself as well. Figures. 

My hose pressure is so weak the water just seeps to the bottom. Really wondering if I should call in a water truck to over flood the ice so that the water sits on top. But nervous to do so. Today would have been the day to do it. 

Hi Steve,

It is still early for this season and I do not think your rink is ruined.

Personally, from what you described,c I would drain the water, locate and repair all holes (or better yet ..replace your current liner with a new liner).

With such low temps coming, low pressure hose is not so bad.... adding layers at a time over the next few days is quite the norm.

Steve said:

Have a bad feeling my skating rink is ruined this winter. First time I did it myself as well. Figures. 

My hose pressure is so weak the water just seeps to the bottom. Really wondering if I should call in a water truck to over flood the ice so that the water sits on top. But nervous to do so. Today would have been the day to do it. 

Don't see being able to remove the liner or drain the water especially with Temps dropping to minus 9 today and staying at 0 and below the next several days. Warm weather may, finally, be done. Much of the ice is 2 to 4" or more thick. It's just the shallow ends that are 1.5" or so. Maybe I will just go out every hour and add a thin layer of water? The main issue with the pressure is that it's very difficult to add a layer of water across the ice as the hose simply won't shoot water out more than maybe 3 or 4 feet.

Is my best bet then simply doing this? Adding a sheet of ice every hour? 

With such low temps, I don't think a few small holes will prevent any ice building.

If you have some snow, I would tightly pack it to the areas where you suspect the holes to be.

I would add water in layers, frequency determined by temp and how fast each later freezes solid.

Adding a layer every hour and a half. Will see what it's like tomorrow. Cold night. 

OK Steve.  Let me know his it is progressing....

Managed to get the kids out. Ice is a bit thin on one end but not an issue unless I skate on it. Kids were fine.

Good weather tonight so went out a few more times today to keep adding a layer of water with the hose across the rink. 

Darn cold outside. Feels like - 14, should drop to - 11 with no windchill overnight.

Steve Don't give up the Kids are on it so it all good

Use a mist setting on the hose will add layers without having to wait.

just Clean will first and any bump will also build up a layer

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Scan It!

Events

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by John Vlahos.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service