mybackyardicerink.com Community

the world's premiere online community for backyard ice rinks

The short story is that I am worried about a board blowout if I get a quick thaw.

Long story:

My rink is 20 feet by 48 feet.  I have 16 inch OSB boards with NiceRink brackets bracing every 4 feet.  Usually the deepest point of the deep end is about 12 inches deep and the sides about 8 inches deep at the halfway point.  This is the third year I have used the same boards.

This year there was so much snow before the ice was thick enough to shovel and then such a big freeze that the rink has overflown at the deep and and one of my sides is 12-14 inches deep at the midpoint. This is causing boards to bulge and I am worried about a blowout with a thaw, particularly because my downstream next door neighbor has a problem with basement flooding.  I had added two of the Iron Sleek brackets in the deepest part of the deep end before the ground froze but still one of the boards is bulging enough that there is an inch gap between boards.

My plan is to use my submersible pump as soon as it starts thawing to get rid of the extra water.  Is there anything else I should or can do to try to stabilize my structure, or do you have any other recommendations about limiting the amount of water that may escape at once? I do have a liner tear I am actually now hoping I didn't do a great job of repairing!

I don't think there will be an issue for weeks but not sure if there is something I should do now.

Below is a photo of the rink just after the boys shoveled it a couple of weeks ago.  The bumper caps have totally popped off the deep end due to overfill!

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pack the snow Along the side your worried about, Even water it a bit to turn it into ice. This will Hold till melt Ask yourself where is the snow melt going (into the neighbor) His problem is not from your rink but you don't want to add to it if possible

Place a hose in the sunny spot of the Ice and let it melt down to the bottom then drain from there.

You may have an issue waiting for enough ice melt to put your pump in.

If you can access the bottom of the board you can make a small drain hole anytime doesn't have to be big one.

Don't panic it holding the ICE for now it will hole the water

Thanks Daniel.  The rink may be self correcting as the weather has warmed up and I got some loss out of the liner tear which was just enough to pool in my yard.  I do have access to the bottom of some of the boards so will keep that in mind to let a little more out if needed.  

Even with the melting the ice is still thick enough to skate.  This weekend may be it for the season though.

I am going to get rid of any warped boards after this season and (memo to self) make sure I brace the deep end every 2 feet next year.

Good time to make notes for next year (low spots for filling) hight spots to lower. bracing changes, Backboard location to keep pucks in etc... Walkway upgrade Change out OSB boards for plywood

Good skating

Dainel

Eileen said:

Thanks Daniel.  The rink may be self correcting as the weather has warmed up and I got some loss out of the liner tear which was just enough to pool in my yard.  I do have access to the bottom of some of the boards so will keep that in mind to let a little more out if needed.  

Even with the melting the ice is still thick enough to skate.  This weekend may be it for the season though.

I am going to get rid of any warped boards after this season and (memo to self) make sure I brace the deep end every 2 feet next year.

Eileen

how goes it with the melt.

I'm 1/2 empty but still a lot of Ice left to melt

Daniel

Totally empty and liner pulled out.  After the last post boys skated all weekend but then by March 14th ice was thin.  I was able to punch a hold in it and put in my pump and I drained on and off.  Drained by March 17th.  There was some flow with the initial thaw into neighbor's yard but none approaching the house.

Attachments:

Above photo is March 14th.  Once I pulled the liner out I could see the huge gap between the boards in the deep end and the bags of dirt that had been flush with it on fill day.  Definitely need to do a better job with bracing the deep end next year, and will get rid of the warped boards!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Scan It!

Events

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by John Vlahos.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service