Ice Resurfacer in action.

Jim's very own ice resurfacer.

Read more…
E-mail me when people leave their comments –

You need to be a member of My Backyard Ice Rink -World's Premiere Online Ice Rink Community to add comments!

Join My Backyard Ice Rink -World's Premiere Online Ice Rink Community

Comments

• Matt,

Thanks for the compliments. The lines weren't painted, but actually paper lines in a roll. You place the lines down and spray them lightly with water just to adhere them to the ice. Then spray lightly over the frozen lines and continue adding layers. The obly problem with the lines is that they attract the sunlight bigtime!! Result? Melted ice in and around the lines. The lines then tend to bleed and your ice looks awful. Any more sharing let me know.

• Jim,

First of all, that is seriously nasty. I'm jealous. You did a great job. What did you do for painting the lines on the bottom?

Also, one thing I thought of as far as storing the liner is to store it in something that the critters can't get into to maybe add a few years to the life of it.

Thanks for sharing. You did a great job!

• Taylor,

If you look at the far end of the rink, there is a box with the name, "Glacial Crest Cardinals" on it. Inside that box was a scoreboard taken from the old junior high school here in town. It was donated, but a few years ago it was taken back by those who owned it. When it was here, it sure made our games more fun. Also, have some benches for players and one for the "fans" that come out for weekend games.

• Wow... the only thing you need now is a highschool scoreboard and some bleachers and hell, you've got a league.
  • Andy,

I have used a liner that covered the 120 feet x 65 feet area. I purchased it from Nicerink (Nicerink.com) but it was very expensive. Most liners that size are over $1,000. And surprisingly, they only last about 3 years. Critters like to cozy up inside the rolled up liner and have a feast!! So many holes that it is useless to try and patch. Good luck with your liner search.

• Taylor,

My rink 65 x 120 feet. The Ice resurfacer (Zamboni) is actually an Arenaquip, built in the '70's. This company was formed by some guys who used to work for Olympia, I believe. They only made about 5 of these, then went bankrupt. I have the only complete model, since all the rest were scrapped for parts. And...mine is autographed by Bobby Hull! That is a whole different story there.

The zamboni cost about $5,000 and it was in very bad shape. I refurbished it.

No league. Just me and a bunch of guys that I've played with over the years. This size of rink can hold 4 on 4 comfortably...5 on 5 is a little crowded. The boards are 4 x 8 sheets of plywood with a frame on the ends and 42 inches high on the sides. Any other questions feel free to ask.

• You better be using that big of a rink for youth hockey or something?

I'm not exactly asking you a number, but ballpark how much did the zamboni cost? it looks like a smaller model.. like a 300? nice shed also.. and pretty high boards for a backyard rink! You gotta be running a league in that!

• Ed,

Thanks for the compliment. The boards are bolted together on the sides, one bolt on the top and the other on the bottom. The bolts go through a horseshoe shaped metal loop and a metal post is driven between the loops, securing the boards. Once the ground freezes, those boards don't move. The boards stay up all year long. Any more questions, just ask.

• I can't believe you have a Zamboni, what a rink!  What did you use to support your boards?
This reply was deleted.