2010 Duthie Rink 3

Olympic Rings

Read more…
E-mail me when people leave their comments –

You need to be a member of My Backyard Ice Rink -World's Premiere Online Ice Rink Community to add comments!

Join My Backyard Ice Rink -World's Premiere Online Ice Rink Community

Comments

• That is very impressive.  I wouldn't even attempt that with Toronto's weather.   Great job

• Thanks guys, the rink always seems so naked until I get the paint on. The graphics are all hand painted on with flat latex paint then misted with water a few times followed by flooding.  I make cardboard stencils and etch the shape into the ice with a nail then try and paint inside the lines.  The lines are snapped with a chalk line for a guide and I etch the circular markings with a nail on a string.  You need at least 3/4" of ice over the paint before skating.  Unfortunately the paint does attract heat and this is the first place the ice melts in spring.  If you have over an inch of ice on the paint it minimizes the effect.  Luckily we have a fully shadowed north facing backyard so I do not get direct sunlight, last year we skated on April 23.

• I'm with David, absolutely beautiful job on the various in-ice graphics over the years.   If you don't mind my asking:  do you use stencils/ice paint, paper/vinyl cutouts, or other, to create the graphics?   Trying to decide if I want to try a center ice design next season.  I've got a lot of dark leaves from the various wind/rain storms this year trapped 2-3" down in my ice and they haven't been causing any problems at all so think I might want to give an in-ice design a shot one of these years.

• Nice rink markings! Unfortunately, here in the Denver area, with our warm winter temperatures and strong sun, that wouldn't work (or at least it would create problems). Nice rink...well done!

This reply was deleted.